Z-Games are public games that are automatically created and started on the site. They appear on the "Join Game" page as maps with game names starting with "Z - ...". They are free for anyone on the site to join and participate in.
The goal of Z-Games is to always have games with fair settings available with a variety of maps and game types, so that users do not have to create and start their own games in order to play on AWBW. It also helps showcase good maps that might otherwise never be played.
The automated Z-Game creator generates new games once per day, up to a maximum of 40 Z-Games waiting for players.
Game type is determined: 40% std / 30% fog / 30% HF
- Standard - Games with standard "league" settings: Fog of War = OFF, funds per property = 1000, starting funds = 0.
- Fog of War (Denoted by "FOG" in the game title) - Games with Fog of War turned ON. FoW games have a 75% chance of being picked from the "Fog of War' map category, but otherwise can be on any other eligible map.
- High Funds (Denoted by "HF" in the game title) - Games with funds per property set to 2500. These games are only played on maps in the "High Funds" map category.
- (Limited High Funds) (Denoted by "LHF" in the game title) - Games with funds per property set to 500, and starting funds set to 100,000. These games are only played on maps in the "Limited High Funds" map category LHF game creation is suspended as of September 2018.
Map quality is picked afterwards: 25% New / 15% Under Review / 20% S-Rank / 40% A-Rank
Several categories are excluded: Joke / Sprite / Casual Play / Hist. & Geo / team / ffa / large / toy box
Then CO tier is picked:
- For HF: 15% T0 / 25% T1 / 25% T2 / 25% T3 / 10% no COP
- For std and fog: 15% T0 / 25% T1 / 20% T2 / 20% T3 / 10% T4 / 10% no COP
Joining a Z-Game
You can join a Z-Game like any other public game. Afterwards click the [Ready] button found on the "Your Games" page when you are ready to begin. Once you and your opponent have both clicked [Ready], the game will start immediately. Otherwise, there is a script that runs once per hour to start Z-Games: At this point, any full, unstarted Z-Games will be started automatically. Therefore any full Z-Game will be started within 2 hours of both players joining. Any unjoined Z-Game that is older than one week will be automatically deleted.
For more information or updates regarding Z-Games, please see this thread on the forum.