Lash is a Black Hole CO who becomes stronger offensively from terrain as well as stronger defensively.
Lash is a very deadly land-combat expert and tactician who relies on terrain effects for her boosts. As long as a unit of hers can get defense from terrain, they get an offensive boost equal to their terrain defense; pick Lash on a map with heavy terrain, and she gets strong enough to give even high-tier COs a run for their money.
Outside of land-unit battles, she gets no bonuses whatsoever; she also fares poorly on maps with generally light terrain. Her powers only serve to accentuate her advantages on heavy terrain, and are very situational or even unreliable
Day-to-day Effects: All of Lash's units gain 10% offense for every defense star the currently occupied terrain provides. For example, Forests will give 20% offense to any of Lash's units on them. Since Air units cannot utilize terrain stars, Lash's air units are average.
Power: Terrain Tactics -- Movement cost for all terrain is reduced to 1, regardless of type or weather. (Note that this does not apply to terrain that units cannot normally traverse, such as vehicles and mountains/rivers) All of Lash's units gain 10% increased offense and defense.
Super: Prime Tactics -- Movement cost for all terrain is reduced to 1, regardless of type or weather. (Note that this does not apply to terrain that units cannot normally traverse, such as vehicles and mountains/rivers) The number of defensive stars terrain provide are doubled, effectively doubling the power of her Day to Day power. For example, a Forest will give lash 40% increased offense and defense. Regardless of terrain, all of Lash's units gain 10% increased offense and defense.
Half of Lash's strategy revolves around picking a good map for her to toy with. Pick her on maps with:
- Heavy terrain, lots of forests, cities, and mountains
- not much emphasis on air/naval units, or at least maps where air units cannot easily switch fronts
- no Com Towers (Com Towers make it easier to attack stuff on heavy terrain; she'd want to be invincible on that kind of terrain instead)
- features that will get Sturm banned: things like mountains or rivers blocking paths to neutral bases, or anything that lets him harass with recons effectively (Sturm outperforms Lash on heavy terrain, not to mention he gets better access to said terrain, but if he's banned... Lash will reign)
Take note that Lash will do well with any form or temperament of ground combat and will only require well-placed terrain near contested areas to succeed.
Once she gets on the right map, it's on to tactics:
- Lash can be a mini-Kindle on cities, getting an offensive boost just 10% short of Kindle's. Placing tanks on cities will usually scare other tanks away, allowing time to expand or space to breathe. Beware of the actual Kindle, though; not only is she better on cities, she also has the tools to take control of them away from her.
- Trying to occupy and attack from better terrain is always a good habit, but doing it as Lash makes it way better; attacking from a forest gives her comparable stats to Von Bolt, who incidentally has one of the best day-to-day abilities outside of the broken COs, for example.
- Infantry and Mechs are especially powerful on mountains; move them across such terrain whenever sensible. Mountain/city-sitting Mechs in particular are untouchable by tanks; consider defending or holding lines with them.
- People usually save up for Prime Tactics, then watch enemies fail to significantly damage their units while it's active. Terrain Tactics does share the movement cost reduction, and thus the movement boost, with Prime Tactics; it can be used to get surprise attacks through seemingly treacherous terrain.
- People do save up for Prime Tactics for a reason: on the right terrain, her units become nigh-invincible, denying enemy assaults hard and granting her almost a free turn.
- Indirect units usually hate to wade through lots of forests, but it's usually worth it to place them on those. Indirect units get the bonus offense too, not to mention that forests are quite hard to reach. You can place them on cities too, if you're not using the cities to park direct units.
- Lash's powers negate weather, consider using them to negate random weather or a weather-changing power.
How to Counter
Lash is very strong if and only if she's on the ground; air units will help a lot. Her air units do not get defenses from terrain, nor are they impeded by it; COs with a beneficial day-to-day for air units can dominate there.
Dislodging her units from heavy terrain is hard to do with direct units, if only because of the stronger counterattacks. Indirect units are safe from this, and with proper shielding, will easily get rid of Lash's units. Air units can be used for the same effect, but beware of Anti-Airs.
Lash's powers aren't really that strong; they do not affect all units equally, and are almost useless on plains and lower terrain. COs with stronger powers, like maybe Andy or Eagle, may find it wise to play safe and wait for powers to charge. Lash would remain strong day-to-day however, caution is advised.